For the first time, UCLA Center for East-West Medicine is taking students of all levels (medical, pre-health, graduate students, professionals and community members) to Shanghai, China as part of a UCLA travel-Study program to observe integrative medicine in China and experience Chinese healthcare system in person.
Enrollment begins November, 15, 2016 and ends February 22, 2017.
Enroll Now (via UCLA Travel Study)
Program cost: UC Undergraduates: $5,100; UC Graduate Student: $5,600; Visiting Students, Health Professional or Acupuncturists: $5,600. Cost of flight ticket and Visa is not included. Program fee includes registration and course fees, accommodations, program excursions, some meals, and health insurance. For more information on the cost or program, visit: http://ieo.ucla.edu/travelstudy/Medicine-PublicHealth-Shanghai
Program will take place in Shanghai, China including Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fudan University - School of Public Health, Museum of Traditional Chinese Medicine and various medical and community centers.
Medicine 180A (2-Weeks): Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Modernization of Chinese Medicine
- Chinese Language and Terminology in Chinese Medicine
- History of Chinese medicine in China and University States
- Traditional medicine theory in China as compared to the West
- Demystifying the Magic Needles: Acupuncture, Moxibustion and Cupping Theory
- Modernization of Chinese Medicine: Herbal Pharmacology and its value in modern medicine
- Modernization of Chinese Medicine: Acupuncture devices and research
Medicine 180B (2-Weeks): Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Chinese Integrative Medicine in Chinese Healthcare System
- Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Clinical Approaches
- Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Mind-Body Practices
- Community Health: Taiji Practice and Theory
- Community Health: Nutrition and Herbal Dietary Therapy
- Community Health: Self-Care Tools for Health Promotion
- Chinese Healthcare System: Community Health Training and Primary Health Care
- Chinese Health Care System: Community Medical Centers and Hospitals
- To understand the concept and philosophy of Chinese medicine behind the practice within the framework of Chinese culture
- To observe Chinese medicine practice and the various techniques in different clinical settings, such as solo practice, community health centers and hospitals
- To get a glimpse of how Chinese healthcare system operates
- To explore hands-on self-care techniques for managing your own health, including herbal preparation, Chinese massage, acupuncture and moxibustion
This program is made possible through collaboration among Fudan University, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and UCLA Center for East-West Medicine. Both Fudan University and Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, respectively, are regarded the best in Shanghai, China and are ranked the top 5 universities in China.