How can we raise awareness of the safe and effective use of herbal medicine for both the medical and general communities?
Chinese Herbal Medicine Competition – Call for Submissions
The UCLA Center for East-West Medicine's mission is to blend the best of western and Chinese healing traditions to provide healthcare that is safe, effective, affordable, and accessible. Chinese herbal medicine is an important component of Chinese healing traditions and it has been receiving more attention in western medical practices. Its importance was underscored by the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, which was awarded to Chinese pharmaceutical chemist, Tu Youyou’s for her discovery of artemisinin—a botanical extract used to treat malaria. On the other hand, recent reports of severe adverse reactions related to misuse of aconite (unprocessed) mandates demands searching for better means to improve safety and clinical applications through research, education and clinical models of care.
- Raise awareness of the safe and effective use of Chinese herbal medicine
- Gain insights on strategies for safe and effective use of Chinese herbal medicine for both the medical and general communities
Instructions for submission:
Applicants should prepare a proposal to answer the following prompt:
How can we enhance the safe and effective use of Chinese herbal medicine for both the medical and general communities?
Choose ONE of the following formats for submission of the proposal:
- Essay: 1,500-word limit, in PDF format
- Video: 3-minute limit, linked to the video on Vimeo
Submissions will be evaluated by an international panel of faculty and experts in herbal medicine-related fields, including pharmacology, pharmacy, government, policy and law, and medicine. The key judgment criteria will be novelty, feasibility, and potential impact.
- Any health care provider in practice or in training
- Any science researchers in practice or in training
- Any individual affiliated or enrolled at a health professional or academic institution
- Any community member with an interested in Chinese herbal medicine
- Invitation to and presentation of award at the Herbal Medicine Summit on June 24, 2017
- 1st - $5,000
- 2nd - $3,000
- 3rd - $1,500
- two Honorable mention - $250 each
- Opportunity for collaboration with UCLA CEWM to implement idea
Open for Submission on March 24, 2017 to May 5, 2017. Please check back for more information on how to submit on March 24, 2017.