Event: Sunday, July 16, 2017
This Symposium will convene stakeholders in the Chinese medicine community to discuss how Chinese medicine can help improve American Healthcare.
This Symposium will convene stakeholders in the Chinese medicine community to discuss how Chinese medicine can help improve American Healthcare. The various hurdles that must be overcome in order to integrate this healing tradition more broadly into clinical practice will also be discussed.
8:00AM Refreshments and Check-In
9:00AM Introduction (Weijun Zhang, DrPH, UCLA Center for East-West Medicine)
9:10AM Keynote I: Overview of Policy and Strategies for Traditional Medicine Worldwide (Qi Zhang, MD, World Health Organization)
9:45AM California Acupuncture Board: Regulation and Future (Hildegarde Aguinaldo, JD, MPH, California Acupuncture Board)
10:15AM Traditional Medicine and ICD-11 (Marilyn Allen, MS, Acupuncture Today)
10:45AM Potential of Acupuncture-Academic Collaborations in Senior Health within L.A. Country (Tony Kuo, MD, MSHS, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health)
11:40AM: Lunch (Meet with the Experts)
1:00PM Professional Training Panel: Educational Programs for Future Practitioners of Chinese medicine
- Yo San University (Lawrence Lau, MD, LAc)
- Southern California University of Health Sciences (John Scaringe, DC, EdD)
- Alhambra Medical College (David Lee, EdD LAc)
- Emperor's College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Yun Kim, EdD)
2:00PM Professional Practice: Successes and Challenges of Chinese Medicine in Clinical Settings
- Private Acupuncture Clinics (Mao-shing Ni, PhD, LAc)
- Acupuncture Research in the Hospital Setting (Yi Qiao, MPH, LAc)
- Acupuncture Practice in the Military (Lan Kao, LAc )
- Integrative medicine for the underserved in LA County (Eloisa Gonzalez, MD)
3:00PM Summary of the Herbal Medicine Summit (Ryan Abbott, JD, MD, MTOM, UCLA Center for East-West Medicine)
3:20PM Keynote II: Bridging Chinese Medicine with Conventional Medicine (Ka-Kit Hui, MD, FACP, UCLA Center for East-West Medicine)
- Qi Zhang, MD, Director of Traditional Medicine, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Hildegarde Aguinaldo, JD, MPH, President of California Acupuncture Board
- Marilyn Allen, MS, Editor-in-Chief, Acupuncture Today
- Ka-Kit Hui, MD, FACP, Director and Founder, UCLA Center for East-West Medicine
- Tony Kuo, MD, MSHS, Acting Director, Division of Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention, L.A.
County Department of Public Health
- The closest parking lot for Tamkin Auditorium would be Parking Structure 8 or the Medical Plaza Parking.
- The parking fee is $12 and you may pay at one of the self-service kiosks in the parking lot using $1 or $5 bills or credit card.
- Directions to Parking Structure 8:
Enter the UCLA campus by driving north on Westwood Boulevard.You will see the Reagan UCLA Medical Center on your left.At the second light past the hospital, turn left into Structure 8 Driveway.
- Directions to Tamkin Auditorium from Parking Structure 8:
Proceed from Parking Structure 8 heading south on Westwood Plaza Blvd.; enter the Ronald Reagan Medical Center on the right; go down the grand staircase; bear left; the auditorium is on the right.