Event: Sunday, June 17, 2018 – Saturday, July 14, 2018
(MED 180A & B/GLB HLT 110A &110B) - 6/17/2018-7/14/2018.
UCLA Center for East-West Medicine and Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine (SHUTCM) will be partnering to offer an 8-unit Travel Abroad program on global perspectives of integrative medicine in China. This program includes cultural immersion events, multiple site visits to healthcare clinics and hospitals as well as experiential workshops on self-care and therapeutic models. The course is intended for those who have special interest in China, Chinese healthcare, medicine, public health and/or health promotion.
The program consists of two courses. The first course introduces the principles of Chinese medicine, its cultural roots, and its modernization. The second course observes integrative medicine practice in hospital and community health settings in Shanghai. The program will be taught in English by UCLA faculty as well as faculty from the Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Fudan University School of Public Health.
This program will be hosted in Shanghai partnering with SHUTCM, one of the best Chinese medicine universities in China and the “innovative talents cultivation experimentation base” by China’s Ministry of Education.
Enrollment starts 11/15/2017.
- UC Undergraduates: $5,200
- UC Graduate Student: $5,700
- Visiting Students, Health Professional or Acupuncturists: $5,600
Cost of flight ticket and Visa is not included. Program fee includes registration and course fees, accommodations, program excursions, some meals, and health insurance. For more information on the cost or program, visit: https://ieo.ucla.edu/travelstudy/medicine-shanghai/
Enroll Now (via UCLA Travel Study)
Missed the 11/30/17 Info-session? Click Here to view an electronic copy.
Two types of scholarship opportunities are available. For selected medical students, the Shirley Hui Memorial fund will be generous to offer a scholarship covering tuition ($5600). For non-Chinese citizens, there will be multiple Confucius Institute Scholarships available, generously provided by UCLA CEWM's partnering schools. Priority application is due by 1/29/18.
To apply, please complete an application online at: cewm.med.ucla.edu/education/specialevents/
or click below. Please submit the completed application to email@example.com.
Total: 8 Units
(Applicable to Medicine or Global Health requirements for the Global Health Minor)
MED 180A or GLB HLT 110A (2-Weeks, 4 Units): Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Modernization of Chinese Medicine
- Chinese Language and Terminology in Chinese Medicine
- History of Chinese medicine in China and University States
- Traditional medicine theory in China as compared to the West
- Demystifying the Magic Needles: Acupuncture, Moxibustion and Cupping Theory
- Modernization of Chinese Medicine: Herbal Pharmacology and its value in modern medicine
- Modernization of Chinese Medicine: Acupuncture devices and research
MED 180B or GLB HLT 110B (2-Weeks, 4 Units): Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Chinese Integrative Medicine in Chinese Healthcare System
- Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Clinical Approaches
- Global Perspectives of Integrative Medicine: Mind-Body Practices
- Community Health: Taiji Practice and Theory
- Community Health: Nutrition and Herbal Dietary Therapy
- Community Health: Self-Care Tools for Health Promotion
- Chinese Healthcare System: Community Health Training and Primary Health Care
- Chinese Health Care System: Community Medical Centers and Hospitals
- To understand the concept and philosophy of Chinese medicine behind the practice within the framework of Chinese culture
- To observe Chinese medicine practice and the various techniques in different clinical settings, such as solo practice, community health centers and hospitals
- To get a glimpse of how Chinese healthcare system operates
- To explore hands-on self-care techniques for managing your own health, including herbal preparation, Chinese massage, acupuncture and moxibustion