Summer Travel Study
MEDICINE AND GLOBAL HEALTH: EAST-WEST MEDICINE IN SHANGHAI, CHINA
*Virtual for summer 2021! View flyer here for details*
The goal of this program is to facilitate students to explore the Chinese healthcare delivery system for better understanding of international context of healthcare systems. China’s regional-based healthcare delivery system consists of village health stations, township health centers and county hospitals in rural areas, and tiered hospitals and community health care centers in urban areas. Services of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) are provided in those facilities on its own or integrated with biomedicine.
Self-care concept is inherent to traditional Chinese Medicine and Chinese integrative medicine. The modern theory of Body Constitution assigns body types according to different physiological characteristics and provides approaches for individualized self-care plan using Chinese medicine modalities, such as herbal medicine, herbal food, herbal tea, Tai Chi, acupuncture or acupressure and massage therapy. This program thus works the student through a process of identifying their own body constitution, understanding the theoretical basis, and then observing clinical practice of using these modalities in real-world settings, including hospitals, community health centers, and private clinics. Through this process, students will be able to explore different aspects of the Chinese healthcare delivery system.
To enhance adherence to healthy lifestyle after students return to the United States, the last week of this program provides the comparison of healthcare systems between China and the United States, as well as available options of complementary and integrative health modalities (including but not limited to Chinese medicine) in the United States that students can adopt for their self-care plan based on their own preference and accessibility. This program will also incorporate covid-specific self-care techniques into the course content.
Since the program will include a lot of live tours of healthcare facilities, students are strongly encouraged to login for the live Zoom sessions. We will organize the course in one of two different time frames each day based on the location of faculty: 5-8 PM PST when courses are taught by faculty in China, and 1-4 PM PST when courses are taught by faculty in the United States.
Curriculum (see updated syllabus for this year - coming soon)
All students will enroll in two required courses while attending the program. Students may choose to receive course credit for Medicine or Global Health:
- MED 180A or GLB HLT 110A (4 units)
- MED 180B or GLB HLT 110B (4 units)
MED 180A or GLB HLT 110A: Chinese Medicine – Its Origins, Roles in Culture & Impact on Modernization (4 units)
By the end of the course (July 2, 2021), students are expected to be able to
- Describe different types of Body Constitution with focus on their own body constitutions type
- Demonstrate the understanding of theoretical basis of their own body constitution and potential modalities
- Discuss modern research in basic theories and modalities of Chinese medicine that relate to the body constitution
- Under supervision of faculty, formulate evidence-based individual self-care plan for themselves in theory
MED 180B or GLB HLT 110B: Integrative Medicine in the Chinese Healthcare Delivery System (4 units)
By the end of the course (July 17, 2021), students are expected to be able to
- Discuss reasonable use of modalities in Chinese integrative medicine for their self-care in real-world setting
- Provide a brief overview of the Chinese healthcare delivery system
- Analyze the accessibility of self-care modalities in China and the United States
- Formulate individualized self-care plan based on their cultural preference and accessibility to modalities
Click here to see a summary and pictures from 2019 program.
See what our students from the 2019 program thought about the courses (by Nicole Ugorji):
See what our students from the 2018 program thought about the courses:
For more information and registration, please visit the