UCLA Center for East-West Medicine
Department of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
Lan Kao, L.Ac.(license acupuncturist), is a Chinese medicine practitioner and nationally board certified in acupuncture and oriental medicine. She is currently a Clinical Specialist at the UCLA Center for East-West Medicine and is also in private practice. Lan Kao earned her B.A. at UCLA and her masters degree in traditional Chinese medicine at Yo San University of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). She completed a certification program for post-graduate Chinese medicine studies abroad in major hospitals within China (Wangjing Hospital in Beijing, China an affiliate hospital with W.H.O., and Chengdu University of TCM Hospital in the Szechwan Provence). In addition, she had the rare opportunity to study privately with renown traditional Japanese acupuncture masters in Japan (Denmai Shudo and Masakazu Ikeda).
She originally started her career in Hawaii where she served as an appointed member on the Hawaii State Board of Acupuncture, appointed member on the Acupuncture Advisory Committee for the Regulated Industries Complaints Office (RICO) under the Hawaii Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, and elected member on the Board of Director for the Hawaii Acupuncture Association. Lan Kao was also an Instructor and Lecturer at the Institute for Clinical Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine in Honolulu. She was a member and facilitator for the International Yan Xin Life Science and Technology Association TM , which is an internationally recognized qigong association.
Lan Kao has been in practice for over fifteen years and has treated a variety of conditions and diseases including: chronic and acute pain, sports/physical injuries, digestive disorders, diabetes, issues with women’s health and hormonal imbalance, infertility, visual disorders, stress and anxiety. She is the first acupuncturist in the United States to be hired by the Department of Defense (DoD) to work on an Integrative Pain and Rehabilitation Program for the military, treating soldiers and veterans injured from war in Iraq and Afghanistan. She is also a Bioreprogramming practitioner and incorporates the mind-brain-body model, along with Chinese medicine, in her holistic approach to patient care.
- July 2014: Speaker at “Herbal Medicine Symposium and Roundtable,” sponsored by UCLA Center for East-West Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- October 2014: Speaker, “How Integrative Medicine Can Benefit You,” Southwestern University Law School, Los Angeles, CA
2010 and before
- August 2010: American Psychological Association (APA) Annual Conference, "Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine in the Military," San Diego, CA
- September 2009: Television appearance on KITV Channel 4 (local Hawaii affiliate of ABC Television Network) “Integrative Medicine: Its application in the military,” Honolulu, HI
- October 2006: Speaker at “Mind Body Medicine for the 21st Century”, sponsored by John Burns School of Medicine at the University of Hawaii, Turning Point Cancer Center, and HMSA (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Hawaii)
- August 2006: Public Talk at Queens Medical Center, Women’s Health Center: “Secrets of Longevity,” Honolulu, HI
- July 2005: Television appearance on Topic Hawaii, “Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture,” Honolulu, HI
- June 2003: First Hawaii Yan Xin Life Science & Technology™ Spring Symposium: “Science, Virtue, and Rejuvenation,” Honolulu, HI
- May 2003: Hawaii State Consortium for Integrative Healthcare Conference; speaker on the “Cervical and Lumbar Pain Panel for the Multi- Modal Integrative Approaches to Chronic Pain Management,” Honolulu, HI
- April 2003: Queens Medical Center, Women’s Health Center: “How to Mend our Hearts, ” Honolulu, HI
- February 2001: HMSA /Blue Cross Blue Shield (Akamai ”Senior Living” Seminar): “Qigong and Traditional Chinese Medicine,” Honolulu, HI
- August 2000: Qigong Conference (sponsored by Yan Xin Life Science and Technology™), University of Hawaii East-West Center: “Qi, Qigong and Health: Traditional Chinese Secrets,” Honolulu, HI